It’s that time of year and your filling out the FAFSA form then you realize you need your tax return. Well you are in luck! Here are some options to get your tax return for the FAFSA form.
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available to those who are eligible. You can access it from within the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form. Applicants filing a 2019-20 FAFSA must use data from their 2017 tax returns. If you filed a Form 1040X, you should use the adjusted gross income and earned income listed on your amended tax return.
If you did not keep a copy of your tax return here are some options for you:
- Download a copy from the tax software product you used to prepare and file your 2017 return.
- Contact the tax preparer or provider who filed your 2017 return.
- You can go to IRS.gov and download your tax transcript at Get Transcript Online.
- Use Get Transcript by Mail. The IRS will mail a transcript to the address on their return within five to 10 days.
- Call the IRS’s automated line at 800-908-9946 to order a transcript by mail.
information about getting alternative documentation for IDR applications.
- IRS Data Retrieval plan applicants must submit alternative documentation of income.
- The applicants submit this documentation to their federal loan servicers after completing and submitting the online IDR application.
- The process for submitting the alternative documentation of income is explained to borrowers as part of the online IDR application.
- Alternative documentation of income usually consists of copies of pay stubs or most recently filed tax returns.